View Full Version : Chance to chime in on OHV use in national park in Alaska

Chastan H2
October 29th, 2010, 09:20 PM
I pasted this from a user at another forum. I may never get up there but I like to think I am protecting my use if I ever do...

I received an email today from the NPCA (National Parks Conservation Association) about restricting ORV use in the national arks because they destroy the parks. Below is what the email said:

Just one pass of an off-road vehicle (ORV) across Alaska's fragile tundra can permanently scar landscapes. Nearly 25 years of unrestricted ORV use has tragically shredded wetland areas of Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve, America's largest national park.

NPCA's 2006 lawsuit challenging the National Park Service's (NPS) illegal permitting of recreational ORV use is finally getting results: NPS is now accepting comments on its draft Nabesna ORV Trails Management Plan.

Unfortunately, NPS’s plan represents the first time ever that the agency is recommending that recreational ORVs be allowed on motorized trails in a designated national park. If adopted, this plan could open the door to recreational ORVs on trails in other national parks around the country. We need your help.

Take Action: Submit your comments today. Tell the National Park Service that their plan offers great solutions to fix the Nabesna trails for legitimate purposes, such as qualified subsistence users and access to private property. However, their proposal to allow recreational ORV use on trails within Wrangell-St. Elias National Park is inappropriate and illegal.

Thank you for taking a moment to help protect the fragile ecosystem and traditional life ways of local residents at Wrangell-St. Elias National Park. Generations to come will appreciate your action today.

I am deeply distrubed about the efforts of this group to take away the ability to use ORV in national parks.

Please take time to sabatoge their efforts by using their own vehicle. The NPCA has set up a email campaign to send a message to Wrangell-St. Elias Superintendent Meg Jensen. That message and process can be found here: https://secure.npca.org/site/Advocac...rAction&id=439

I have modified their message slightly to this:

Thank you for the detailed analysis of trail issues and solutions presented in the draft Nabesna Off-Road Vehicle (ORV) Trails Management Plan. I fully support the park's precedent-setting action found in preferred alternative (#5), which would allow recreational ORV use on trails in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park.

It is amazing to me that Alternative #4, which will not allow the use of recreational off-road vehicle in this national park, was even suggested.

I believe that the National Park Service is responsible for upholding the highest standards of resource protection in our national parks and I trust that the Nabesna ORV Trails plan is a step in the right direction.

Any alternative which allows and protects the right to use recreational ORV in the park system is bold and dramatic step in the right direction.

Thank you for considering my comments.

I encourage as many people possible to send the above message to the park via the following contact portal:

http://www.nps.gov/PWR/sendmail.htm?o=%3B7%29%3F%28KZ%2B%3AH%3AB1J0.]_%20.JN4^22*]2II_16!%22X%0A&r=/wrst/index.htm LINK IS FIXED, THANKS

Or send directly via the USPS to:

Wrangell-St. Elias National Park
Attn. Superintendent Meg Jensen
PO Box 439
Copper Center, AK 99573

October 29th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Tried to comment but the link is broken.
Get you to post a corrected version?

October 29th, 2010, 11:07 PM

October 29th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Thank you!

DONE. :thumb:

October 30th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Done as well.

COME ON FOLKS!!! I guarantee you spend more time in the crapper then it will take to send an e-mail.

October 30th, 2010, 08:16 AM
I just received this in response to my e-mail:

-----Original Message-----
To: President@glfwda.org
Sent: Sat, Oct 30, 2010 8:03 am
Subject: Todd Stoeberl/WRST/NPS is out of the office.

I will be out of the office starting 10/23/2010 and will not return until 11/08/2010.

I will respond to your message when I return. Glenn Hart is Acting Chief of Interpretation if you need immediate assistance. He is at 907-822-7238,

We have a week to fill his mail box, will you help us please?

November 4th, 2010, 08:41 AM
That was easy!!!

November 4th, 2010, 12:05 PM

November 4th, 2010, 12:58 PM

November 5th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Done ... now I guess I can visit the crapper!

November 8th, 2010, 11:13 PM