PDA

View Full Version : Article on Karner Blue Butterfly on M-live Muskegon chronical.

gnjeepn
October 14th, 2010, 01:02 PM
http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/2010/10/five_miles_of_oceana_county_tr.html

Trail_Fanatic
October 14th, 2010, 01:40 PM
I am scheduled to attend the Township's meeting with the CCC's West Side Trail Chair, Dave Miehlke.
The meeting is also to be attended by reporters from 2 area newspapers and TV13.

WISH US LUCK!

Trail_Fanatic
October 14th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Look for this story on Grand Rapids channel 13 at 5:30 or 6:00pm.

I a message from the owner of the only business in the entire Township wanting to make sure I knew about the meeting and was going to attend. Word is getting out that GLFWDA is the defender of the Forest Road system as well as 4x4 opportunities in Michigan. :thumb:

I'll let you all know how the meeting goes.

Greenway
October 14th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Details can be found at:

this link (http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gjAwhwtDDw9_AI8zPyhQ oY6BdkOyoCAGixyPg!/?ss=110904&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=FSM8_046776&navid=130110000000000&pnavid=130000000000000&position=SubFeature*&ttype=detail&pname=Huron-Manistee%2520National%2520Forests-%2520Projects)

Trail_Fanatic
October 15th, 2010, 05:29 AM
VERY interesting meeting! The Twp Hall has room for about 20 people, so we had to have this portion of the meeting outside. There were 50-75 very angry and concerned citizens in attendance. Both Greenwood and Otto Township Boards are opposed to the Project too. There was a lot of talk about a Class Action Suit. I'm not sure this is possible until the proper process is fully exhausted. Other than CCC and an Equestrian group representative, nobody there had any idea there was a process, let alone that it MUST be followed or you loose your legal standing. I guess that it was a good thing that I was asked to speak at the meeting. Here's essentially what I said:

WHAT DO WE DO NOW?

• Write your specific, “substantive” comments about what you do and don’t like about THIS PROJECT SPECIFICALLY. If your comment is about something that is not part of this project as described by the National Forest Service (NFS), it will NOT be answered or considered. The NFS will deem it “Beyond the Scope of this Project” and reject your comment without considering it.

• Mail your comments “Return Receipt Requested” with the US Postal Service so that the comments will ARRIVE at the NFS ON OR BEFORE the official Comment Period due date. This will give you a receipt listing when and who in the NFS received your comments. This prevents them from trying to tell you that they never received them and can be used as proof of receipt in a Court of Law. SAVE YOUR RECEIPT until after any/all legal proceedings have concluded!!!

• Ask to receive the “Notice of Decision” (NOI) as part of your comments

• You have 45 days from the date the NOI was signed and dated to inform the NFS that you intend to Appeal their Decision

• You will be asked to participate in an “Informal Resolution Teleconference” with the Baldwin District, Cadillac Office and Region 9 (Cadillac is Baldwin’s boss and Region 9 is Cadillac’s boss). You MUST PARTICIPATE in the Teleconference.

• If the NFS does NOT give you what you asked for in your comments during the Teleconference, you may NOW OBTAIN AN ATTORNEY AND FILE YOUR APPEAL IN A COURT OF LAW.

If you wish to receive notice of these types of projects at the earliest possible point in time, ask the NFS to either (or both):

1. Place your name and address on the “SOPA” mailing list (Schedule Of Proposed Actions). This is a quarterly publication that lists all of the projects the NFS is going to undertake in the next 3 months. It is in a chart format with a column for the Project Name, the location where they plan to do the project, a brief (VERY brief) description of what they want to do, when they plan to do it and who in the NFS to contact to get more information about the project

2. Place your name and address on the SCOPING list. You will receive a detailed plan of EVERY project the NFS is going to undertake. Many of these will probably not interest you and you can discard them as you see fit, BUT some of them WILL interest you. This gives you the opportunity to participate in an additional, earlier comment period during which you can attempt to change what it is they are planning to do. This is called the “SCOPING COMMENT PERIOD” and occurs before the NFS issues its 3 choice, “215” document (like the one we are commenting on now).

REMEMBER! When dealing with the Forest Service, ALWAYS send your comments and questions “Return Receipt Requested” with the USPS.

The Comment Period for this Project ENDS OCTOBER 25th.

Jarhead
October 15th, 2010, 07:46 AM
The importance of building relationships and educating the less informed can never be overstated.

Thank You Pat

gnjeepn
October 15th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Way to go Pat. Thank you so very much.:thumb: