View Full Version : Stuck Hitch Draw Bar

October 3rd, 2010, 08:35 AM
I recently discovered the draw bar on our van has rusted and is stuck in the receiver. Any suggestions on how to get it loose? I tried pulling it out with my Jeep but no luck. I also banged on it with a big ....hammer. I have not tried any heat or chemicals yet.

October 3rd, 2010, 10:08 AM
This is why you don't leave the draw bar in the receiver. I would start by soaking it with a good rust penetrate. Let it work. Might take a few days depending on how long the draw bar has been in the receiver. Start working it with a bfh in and out to try and free it. If you still can't get it out I would use the heat shock cold method and a bfh. Once you get it out don't leave it in or make sure if you must leave it in put some anti-seize on the bar.

Renegade II
October 3rd, 2010, 10:47 AM
I use a torch with a large heating tip. Heat receiver & remove with hammer. Or without a torch; Several days of soaking with PB Blaster from the back & seams, then remove the ball and turn it upside down so it hangs down for a good target to hit with a 10 Lb sledge hammer.

October 5th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

October 10th, 2010, 05:48 PM
the last real bad one we had to remove we chained another hitch/vehicle to the stuck one. had a 20 ton ram between the two hitches. heat with torch. hit with 15lb sledge. repeat till reciever comes out, or one of the hitches fail. last one never came out. it was the first one we could not remove.

October 10th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Find a very big tree and a very heavy strap. Strap that thing to a tree, and when in drive have somebody hit that thing with a hammer in every direction. It will work it's way out. It's the best way I've used in the past. Never leave those things in, and if it don't go in easy don't hammer them in.

October 10th, 2010, 11:01 PM
He got it out!!!

October 11th, 2010, 07:21 AM
I sprayed it a couple of times this past week with Aero Kroil. This morning I backed up on a dirt pile so when I sprayed it the oil would flow inside better. I sprayed it several times with Aero Kroil and PB Blaster. Then I used my tractor and a come-a-long to keep pressure on it while I banged on it with a sledge hammer. I bet I banged on that *&^% thing for 30 minutes before it finally came out. I cleaned it up good, lubed it with Never Seize and put it back in.