PDA

View Full Version : Ham Radio with APRS

Brian
January 21st, 2006, 04:39 PM
Well I was able to get the APRS (Automatic Position Reporting System) up and running on my ham radio. :) This means I am able to send and receive packets containing APRS user information. I have my radio setup to beacon my position every three minutes. I can also send an emergency beacon as frequent as every 10 seconds if I need to. The emergency beacon works just like the ones search and rescue teams use and is picked up by other APRS users in the area, can be seen world wide and is even posted on the internet. If you are running APRS and wish to send your info this is what I see when I receive it.

http://www.glfwda.org/forums/uploads/1137465266/med_gallery_112_20_513029.jpg

As you can see I get your Call, GPS coordinates, how far you are away from me, your status (I use "In service"), your icon, a short text message saying what ever you want (mine says "Brian's Jeep"), an arrow points to show me the direction you are from me and more.

This setup automatically puts a waypoint on my GPS screen so I can use my GPS maps to see where you are in reference to me and other landmarks.

http://www.glfwda.org/forums/uploads/1137465266/med_gallery_112_20_251077.jpg

This could also be used on scouting trips so we could split up into two smaller groups and still know where everyone is.

Just another tool in the Jeep! That reminds me I need to buy a rake for the Jeep too :thumb:

Jeeperz-Creeperz
January 21st, 2006, 05:08 PM
So I heard it was easy to get your license but I was wondering what class it is.

I've been interested in amateur radio for years, I even own an old POS and several scanners but I just never got around to getting a license (not that I have ever transmitted, only listened).

Where did you take your test?

Brian
January 21st, 2006, 05:39 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeeperz&#045;Creeperz &#064; Jan 21 2006, 04&#58;08 PM) 8638</div>

So I heard it was easy to get your license but I was wondering what class it is.

I&#39;ve been interested in amateur radio for years, I even own an old POS and several scanners but I just never got around to getting a license (not that I have ever transmitted, only listened).

Where did you take your test?
[/b]

The first test is the Technician then General then Extra.

I have is the Technician and I think that is all you need to do most of the stuff you would want to.

People say the test is easy but in my opinion most will need to buy the study guide and study. I bought my book ?Now You&#39;re Talking? at Borders for &#036;20.00.

The test cost around &#036;7.00 to take.

I took my test out near Fenton at a community college but they give the tests all over and pretty much all the time. You can find a location near you by doing a zip code search here Exam search (http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/examsearch.phtml)

Let me know if you need anything else.

Brian

Zookeeper
January 21st, 2006, 09:29 PM
That&#39;s awesome Brian&#33; Congrats on getting all this done and pulled together.

My book arrived the other day and now I just need to make the time to study.

What kind of radio set-up did you finally end up with in your Jeep? I&#39;m still not clear on exactly what I want or should have.

First step is getting my license and I hope to have that done soon.

Brian
January 21st, 2006, 11:20 PM
Thanks Ari,

I decided I wanted a radio to do APRS with, you may not want to?

After a bunch of research and phone calls I bought a Kenwood TM-D700A, external speaker, Diamond antenna and Diamond UHF base with cable. There are only a couple ham radios that will do APRS out of the box. The other radios need add on cards or a TNC to transmit data and it just got to complicated or bulky for me. I found the Kenwood to be the best for the money and with a little programming and GPS wiring it was easy to install.

I don&#39;t want to mislead you if you want to get into ham radio you can do it with out APRS. There are quite a few great radios out there. Icom V8000, Icom 2200H (optional APRS with add on digital card), Kenwood TM-271A and more.

Hope this helps :)

Brian

shawn
January 23rd, 2006, 11:53 PM
This is great stuff&#33;

Brian, do yu still also have a CB in your rig, or does the Ham Radio serve both functions.

Brian
January 24th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Thanks Shawn,

No I still have and need a CB also. I was hoping that I wouldn?t need both but I was told I do.

My ham doesn?t take up much room because the actual unit is mounted remotely (like a CD player), only the face plate gets mounted near the operator. There?s not really a space problem and as I get used to having the ham radio I don&#39;t mind having the CB separate.

JerryD
February 2nd, 2006, 04:02 PM
Brian - cool toys&#33; Where did you get the TM-D700A? Did you already have the Garmin unit?

I got my ticket in the summer of 2004. The wife & kids were spending the week out of town and I was bored. I remembered reading about the Midland Amateur Radio club having thier annual ham fest (like a swap meet) and would be offering testing. I went to http://www.qrz.com/ham/index.html and http://www.aa9pw.com/radio/ and tried their exams online. I do have an FCC commercial license (GROL), so I really just needed an overview to get my technician. Thursday I decided to try it and Saturday I passed it. Woo-hoo. ;) The book you mentioned is excellent and there are a lot of other resources on the net, too.

I finally bought a handheld in Dec of 2005 just for something to listen to (Yaesu VX-2). My play money has been going towards parts for the Scout but I like your choice. My main reason for AmRadio was APRS, too.... just need to DO something about it&#33;

Any pics of the overall install?

Jerry

JerryD
February 2nd, 2006, 04:28 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Brian &#064; Jan 21 2006, 03&#58;39 PM) 8635</div>
Well I was able to get the APRS (Automatic Position Reporting System) up and running on my ham radio. :) ... and is even posted on the internet. [/b]

Who&#39;s up for "Where&#39;s Brian" ?
(click on Waldo)
http://zappa.brainiac.com/cdyer/miscgraphics/waldo.jpg (http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?call=KC8WCC)
Scary, huh?
:D

P.S.
Brian, if you want I&#39;ll delete the link...

kb8ymf
February 2nd, 2006, 05:03 PM
Congrats on the ticket Jerry. Test on Sat.....get your call sign yet? What club did your testing? I assume your job is GMOL related? or was it military? Now if we can just convience the other guys this test really ain&#39;t all that hard&#33;
jim - kb8ymf

JerryD
February 2nd, 2006, 05:39 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kb8ymf &#064; Feb 2 2006, 04&#58;03 PM) 9537</div>
Congrats on the ticket Jerry. Test on Sat.....get your call sign yet? What club did your testing? I assume your job is GMOL related? or was it military? Now if we can just convience the other guys this test really ain&#39;t all that hard&#33;
jim - kb8ymf
[/b]Thanks Jim. I actually got it in 2004, just don&#39;t do anything with it. :(

My commercial license isn&#39;t for my job, but I thought I might need one. I was working for Delta Airlines (circa &#39;93?) on their flight simulators at the time and was anticipating a layoff. Some other sim shops required the GROL since they sometimes promoted their avionics folks in to that area and the unions required all techs to have it. I left DAL before the layoffs but never had any need for the license anyway. It just looks cool. :rolleyes:

You know, even if someone doesn&#39;t have an electronics background it really wouldn&#39;t be too hard if you spent a couple hours/night studying. Yes, the "S" word.

Oh, my sig has my call sign....

(okay, it&#39;s in Morse.... KC8ZYW) ;)

Brian
February 2nd, 2006, 07:11 PM
Congrats Jerry&#33; Good to hear someone else is joining us hams. :D

You can leave that link if you want :P it&#39;s not me that&#39;s Mark from Auburn hills :rolf:

Here I am -----&#62; KD8CDQ (http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?call=kd8cdq)

:thumb-up:

Oh and I will have a picture of it all setup in my Jeep after dinner.

Brian
February 2nd, 2006, 08:18 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JerryD &#064; Feb 2 2006, 03&#58;02 PM) 9534</div>

Brian - cool toys&#33; Where did you get the TM-D700A? Did you already have the Garmin unit?

[/b]

I bought my D700 from Tom at HRO in San Diego. (858) 560-4928. If you buy one call him and tell him I sent you and he should knock off a few bucks. Tom at Diamond sent me to him and I saved some money on everything I bought. :) I had the GPS, if you want to do APRS you will need a GPS that will send data in NMEA format. It&#39;s best to have one that will send and receive NMEA data. I really like the 276C :thumb-up:

Brian
February 2nd, 2006, 09:43 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JerryD &#064; Feb 2 2006, 03&#58;02 PM) 9534</div>

Any pics of the overall install?

[/b]

Here is one in my CJ7

http://www.glfwda.org/forums/uploads/1138242344/med_gallery_112_20_407465.jpg

Creative Fab
February 14th, 2006, 01:32 PM
I am looking at the Icom2200H, Brian, do you know if my GPSV has what I need to interface with this radio?

JerryD
February 14th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Hey Pat -

According to what I&#39;ve read, it sure seems that way. The Garmin V puts out the NMEA data and the 2200H has a data jack for such an operation. You don&#39;t need any TNC that I can tell, just an interface cable.

You can get the 2200H manual on the Icom site at http://www.icomamerica.com/support/manuals/2200h.pdf for more info on the 2200H and http://www.garmin.com/manuals/GPSV_OwnersManual.pdf for the V.

HTH,
Jerry

(of course, standard disclaimers apply... especially if they involve spending money&#33; ;) )

Brian
February 14th, 2006, 11:14 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ironman &#064; Feb 14 2006, 12&#58;32 PM) 10381</div>

I am looking at the Icom2200H, Brian, do you know if my GPSV has what I need to interface with this radio?
[/b]

I could never get a straight answer on that radio. I called Icom and no one could tell me what I needed to do, the person that knew was off that day and I never called back.
I talked about the IC-2200H with a few places that sell them and it’s my understanding that you would have to add the UT-118 digital board (&#036;199.00) to broadcast your location from your GPS. It also seems that your location would only be received by other D-Star compatible radios. If you call Icom please give us an update.

The GPS V only has NMEA out, that means your will be able to send your position info but the position info you receive won’t be displayed on your GPS so it will be up to your radio to display and store the info.

All the places I talked to about hooking up my GPS to my radio recommend the Kenwood radios TH-D7AG or the TM-D700A. Mine came with most of the cables needed and was real easy to hook up. These two of the Kenwood radios comes setup to do APRS, you can even buy a cable on Ebay and just plug it all together with your GPS.

Hope this helps,
Brian

JerryD
February 15th, 2006, 10:41 AM
The GPS V only has NMEA out, that means your will be able to send your position info but the position info you receive won&#39;t be displayed on your GPS so it will be up to your radio to display and store the info.[/b] :doah: Ah, you&#39;re right Brian. I misread the manual when it said RTCM data in, and I forgot about the expansion module. On the other point about D-Star, I hadn&#39;t realized it was only truly compatible with other D-Star units.

So really the only full APRS radios (no add-ons) are the two Kenwoods you mentioned in your post?

I&#39;ve thought about getting the TinyTrak for my Yaseu VX2 just to experiment with, but would rather buy a mobile right now. Sorry for the misdirection Pat.

Brian
February 15th, 2006, 05:45 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JerryD &#064; Feb 15 2006, 09&#58;41 AM) 10424</div>

So really the only full APRS radios (no add-ons) are the two Kenwoods you mentioned in your post?

I&#39;ve thought about getting the TinyTrak for my Yaseu VX2 just to experiment with, but would rather buy a mobile right now.
[/b]

There are a few others but I am not familiar with them. I know Alinco makes one. I just liked the D700A because it offers a lot more of the things I wanted being the ham newbie that I am. I hear a lot of good things about the TinyTrak but I never did any research on it. I am on a APRS email mailing list where I can ask questions and join discussions about APRS and new ideas. The people on there have a lot of positive comments on the TinyTrak.

The Kenwood D700A is more money but I still feel it is worth it.

Brian

JerryD
February 15th, 2006, 06:08 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Brian &#064; Feb 15 2006, 04&#58;45 PM) 10434</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JerryD &#064; Feb 15 2006, 09&#58;41 AM) 10424

I&#39;ve thought about getting the TinyTrak for my Yaseu VX2 just to experiment with, but would rather buy a mobile right now.
[/b]

There are a few others but I am not familiar with them. I know Alinco makes one. I just liked the D700A because it offers a lot more of the things I wanted being the ham newbie that I am. I hear a lot of good things about the TinyTrak but I never did any research on it. I am on a APRS email mailing list where I can ask questions and join discussions about APRS and new ideas. The people on there have a lot of positive comments on the TinyTrak.

The Kenwood D700A is more money but I still feel it is worth it.

Brian [/b][/quote]I had heard very good reviews of the D700, too. I like the fact that it&#39;s multi-band and has cross-band repeat capability as well.

And yes, the Kenwood IS more &#036;&#036;. :D

Brian
February 15th, 2006, 08:13 PM
I had heard very good reviews of the D700, too. I like the fact that it&#39;s multi-band and has cross-band repeat capability as well.

And yes, the Kenwood IS more &#036;&#036;. :D
[/b]

It&#39;s not really that much more after you add a radio, TNC and a couple headaches together :P

A little recap with new info added,

If you had the 2200H, the UT-110 and the GPS V you would be able to send your coordinates to only D-Star compatible radios. The display on the 2200H does not show you my coordinates so you would have to rely on your GPS screen and the GPS V does not have NMEA in so it will not display the incoming info. With that setup another D-Star user would know where you were but you would not see their info. To see their info you would need a new GPS that has NMEA in and out or a take computer with you. You could add on a TNC to the 2200H and do APRS but that’s another story and about the same cost as the digital board. Then APRS users would see your info but with the GPS V and the 2200H you would still see no info on others.
The IC-2200H is not as “new user” friendly as the Kenwood D700. My Kenwood screen changes and gives me a lot of info about you and your location when two radios communicate. It even has an arrow that points to where you beaconed last and tells me how far apart we are. The data the 2200H uses seems a bit raw to me unless you’re a ham radio/GPS geek. We can also send text messages back and fourth with the Kenwood. The Kenwood D700 is a dual band radio, it can also do cross band repeating, receive all sorts of message alerts, send emergency beacons, the main radio unit mounts in a remote location so only the faceplate needs to be near the user and some other neat stuff. It looks to me like there are a lot more APRS users then there are D-star users also.

I posted a question similar to Pats and a few of my own on an Icom forum. Below are my questions and their answers.

"If I have an IC 2200H what will I need to do to hook it up to a Garmin GPS V and start sending and receiving GPS information?"

You will also need a UT-118 module and someone with a 2nd VHF D-STAR radio to communicate with.

"What information will the 2200H display when I receive someone&#39;s information?"

The display will not change.

"Does anyone have a Screen shot showing how this info is displayed?"

No. You can see page 72 of the manual for an illustration. On a computer terminal it will look like:

&#036;GPGGA,211952,3331.4289,N,10152.5906,W,1,09,1.0,99 2.4,M,-23.6,M,,*70
&#036;GPRMC,211954,A,3331.4289,N,10152.5906,W,0.0,168.6 ,010206,7.8,E,A*08
KC5ZRQ 8,MV IC-V82 D-STAR

"If I understand some of the other post I read I won&#39;t be able to communicate with APRS users because APRS is analog and D-Star is digital."

APRS on RF usually uses AX.25, which is digital. So both APRS and D-STAR are digital, but they are different modes and cannot communicate directly. You can monitor D-STAR position reports using an APRS program like UI-View, WinAPRS or Xastir with a software interface called DstarTNC2. See http://www.aprs-is.net/dstartnc2.htm for more information. [/b]

My final note and opinion would be that the IC-2200H is a great radio but it would not be your best option if you are considering hooking it up to a GPS.

I hope that was not too confusing for anyone,
Brian

Creative Fab
February 15th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Holy Crap&#33;

Brian and Jerry, you guys went way beyond your job descriptions on this one. A bonus is in order&#33;

I will be visiting AES after I post this to check on the Kenwood radios you recomend. I do carry my laptop with me when using my GPS but I would rather have the features of the Kenwood than deal with the hassle of tracking someone else with the laptop. The "new user" friendly is definately a way to go for me to as this is my first venture into Ham.

I have not even taken the test yet, but I have been studying hard.

Thanks for answering my question and giving me some great material to work with&#33;

Pat

Brian
February 15th, 2006, 10:30 PM
If you are looking into the Kenwood D700A HRO http://www.hamradio.com/ has them &#036;45.00 less then AES and has free shipping.

If you call Tom at HRO out in San Diego at (858)560-4928 he will get you a deal on most everything you buy just tell him the guy (me/Brian Bialik) that Tom (both guys names are Tom) from Diamond Antenna sent to you told me to call you and you would give me the best price. He is the manager there and told me to send anyone from our group to him and he would take care of them.

Brian

Zookeeper
February 16th, 2006, 09:20 AM
I&#39;m taking my test on Saturday. Wish me luck&#33;&#33;

:unsure:

Creative Fab
February 16th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Where is your test at?

And good luck&#33;

JerryD
February 16th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Good Luck&#33; Hope to see that call sign soon&#33;

Zookeeper
February 16th, 2006, 12:32 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ironman &#064; Feb 16 2006, 07&#58;55 AM) 10465</div>

Where is your test at?

And good luck&#33;
[/b]

The test is in Jackson. They have them in Lansing periodically, but I didn&#39;t want to wait that long for the next one. I figure I can get through the book and remember this stuff long enough for the test if I don&#39;t wait too long. :bigemo_harabe_net-01:

Brian
February 16th, 2006, 05:51 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zookeeper &#064; Feb 16 2006, 08&#58;20 AM) 10453</div>

[/b]

Good luck&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :thumb-up:

kb8ymf
February 17th, 2006, 10:06 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Brian &#064; Feb 16 2006, 04&#58;51 PM) 10480</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zookeeper &#064; Feb 16 2006, 08&#58;20 AM) 10453

[/b]

Good luck&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :thumb-up:
[/b][/quote]

Good Luck Ari..........
j-kb8ymf

JerryD
February 20th, 2006, 01:55 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zookeeper &#064; Feb 16 2006, 08&#58;20 AM) 10453</div>

:unsure: [/b]Well?????

kb8ymf
February 20th, 2006, 04:07 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JerryD &#064; Feb 20 2006, 12&#58;55 PM) 10650</div>

[/b][/quote]

He passed.....somewhere in another post he said that but I can&#39;t find it anywhere. He&#39;s looking for a radio now. I think I&#39;m going to have to put together a &#39;trailcalls&#39; cheat sheet and possibly a list in the Boondocker each issue to be able to carry around or Xerox off.
j-kb8ymf

Zookeeper
February 20th, 2006, 09:40 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kb8ymf &#064; Feb 20 2006, 12&#58;07 PM) 10653</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JerryD &#064; Feb 20 2006, 12&#58;55 PM) 10650

[/b][/quote]

He passed.....somewhere in another post he said that but I can&#39;t find it anywhere. He&#39;s looking for a radio now. I think I&#39;m going to have to put together a &#39;trailcalls&#39; cheat sheet and possibly a list in the Boondocker each issue to be able to carry around or Xerox off.
j-kb8ymf
[/b][/quote]

Oh yeah...for those who didn&#39;t notice me screaming it in the other post...I PASSED MY TEST&#33; :party:

Brian
February 20th, 2006, 09:41 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zookeeper &#064; Feb 20 2006, 08&#58;40 PM) 10668</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kb8ymf &#064; Feb 20 2006, 12&#58;07 PM) 10653

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JerryD &#064; Feb 20 2006, 12&#58;55 PM) 10650

[/b][/quote]

j-kb8ymf
[/b][/quote]

Oh yeah...for those who didn&#39;t notice me screaming it in the other post...I PASSED MY TEST&#33; :party:
[/b][/quote]

Congrats.......Again :P

JerryD
February 24th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Okay Brian, I&#39;ve found a setup for you to emulate. Check out this guys &#39;97 TJ "Emergency Communications Vehicle"

Talk about a serious ham...

http://www.commtechreview.net/jeep/index.html

Zookeeper
February 24th, 2006, 05:09 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JerryD &#064; Feb 24 2006, 12&#58;27 PM) 10868</div>

Okay Brian, I&#39;ve found a setup for you to emulate. Check out this guys &#39;97 TJ "Emergency Communications Vehicle"

[/b]
:wow:

joe_jeep
February 24th, 2006, 05:25 PM
im sorry to hijack this post but i was looking at a cobra 250gtldx, anybody know anthing about this radio??

Brian
February 24th, 2006, 06:24 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JerryD &#064; Feb 24 2006, 03&#58;27 PM) 10868</div>

[/b]

What do you mean? I looked at his specs and unless I missed something I have him beat in every category except communication, and I am kind of close there because I do have more then any normal person needs

It is a nice Jeep though :thumb-up:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joe_jeep &#064; Feb 24 2006, 04&#58;25 PM) 10874</div>

im sorry to hijack this post but i was looking at a cobra 250gtldx, anybody know anthing about this radio??
[/b]

Sorry I can&#39;t help you, I even did a search on the model number you provided and came up empty. Post a link if you have one.

joe_jeep
February 25th, 2006, 08:42 AM
i must have model number wrong ill double check it. i saw it at the truck stop i fule up at everyday. call it 10 meter amatuer radio has lots of features, said it was 100 watts??? just lookin for a little more power than my cobra29ltd.
box said this is not a legal cb radio, it amatuer radio, but it gets cb channels. u just need to know the actual frequency. ill get correct model number and repost. my cobra was peaked and tuned and swings 2 to 41 watts, but i didnt want to hook up a linear. i wont broadcast anywhere except on channel 19, it will be in my semi truck.

JerryD
February 25th, 2006, 11:01 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Brian &#064; Feb 24 2006, 05&#58;24 PM) 10884</div>
<snip> I have him beat in every category except communication, and I am kind of close there because I do have more then any normal person needs
[/b]I was refering to the comm stuff. Man&#33; He&#39;s got almost as much in his radios as I have in my entire Scout&#33; :D

im sorry to hijack this post but i was looking at a cobra 250gtldx, anybody know anthing about this radio??[/b]
The model I found on the Cobra website is a 200 GTL DX and it is indeed an amateur 10 Meter radio that does AM/FM/SSB/CW with a freq. range of 28.0 MHz - 29.7 MHz. I don&#39;t have any knowledge with 10 Meter rigs, sorry. It does advertise as 100 watts on SSB.

Here&#39;s the link (http://www.cobra.com/index.php?page=shop/flypage&product_id=433&id=1)

HTH,
Jerry

Brian
February 25th, 2006, 02:20 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JerryD &#064; Feb 25 2006, 10&#58;01 AM) 10950</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Brian &#064; Feb 24 2006, 05&#58;24 PM) 10884
<snip> I have him beat in every category except communication, and I am kind of close there because I do have more then any normal person needs
[/b]I was refering to the comm stuff. Man&#33; He&#39;s got almost as much in his radios as I have in my entire Scout&#33; :D

im sorry to hijack this post but i was looking at a cobra 250gtldx, anybody know anthing about this radio??[/b]
The model I found on the Cobra website is a 200 GTL DX and it is indeed an amateur 10 Meter radio that does AM/FM/SSB/CW with a freq. range of 28.0 MHz - 29.7 MHz. I don&#39;t have any knowledge with 10 Meter rigs, sorry. It does advertise as 100 watts on SSB.

Here&#39;s the link (http://www.cobra.com/index.php?page=shop/flypage&product_id=433&id=1)

HTH,
Jerry
[/b][/quote]

I guess I just don&#39;t understand how he can operate all those radios at the same time. I can hardly control the electronics I have now, if I had to carry on three or four conversation on top of everything else plus driving I would be way off the trail and probably stuck somewhere :rolf:

As for the Cobra, I don&#39;t know nothing about those radios. I probably didn&#39;t look at them because it seems to be more radio then I would use. I originally only wanted a 2M radio.

joe_jeep
February 25th, 2006, 04:12 PM
thx jerry, looks like the same one i saw. 100 watts on ssb but only 30 on am. all normal cb channels are on am correct??? i got more power than that now on my cobra 29 ltd swings 2 to 41 watts. was looking for more power without hooking up a linear. thx though