PDA

View Full Version : Drummond Island

todd20318
June 1st, 2010, 10:00 PM
I have a 2010 stock wrangler unlimited sport. I was thinking about doing the drummond island adventure but did not know if my stock jeep would do alright? Any thoughts or feedback would be awesome.. Thanks..

Trail_Fanatic
June 1st, 2010, 10:09 PM
You'll LOVE it.
Your vehicle is totally capable of 97% of the Island.
The other 3% are deep water holes.
Avoid them and you'll be fine. :thumb:

Renegade II
June 1st, 2010, 10:12 PM
You'll be fine for D.O.A. :thumb: There are legal bypasses for most anything you wouldn't want to drive through.

Jarhead
June 2nd, 2010, 12:26 PM
Your stock Wrangler will have a wonderful time on Drummond Island. By joining up with DOA you will ensure you will be led by some very competent people who take care to ensure you have a great time and are able to drive to and from the event without incident while on the trails.

todd20318
June 2nd, 2010, 05:02 PM
Thanks everybody for the feedback.. I just signed up for Drummond Island. I am going to try it out at the Mounds on June 12th and see how the new jeep does. Look forward to meeting you guys on the trail...

DDS4X4
June 2nd, 2010, 09:23 PM
WARNING .. WARNING .. WARNING :ahhh:

If going to the Mounds for your first time, make sure you are with someone who knows the area and that you TRUST.

Renegade II
June 2nd, 2010, 10:00 PM
WARNING .. WARNING .. WARNING :ahhh:

If going to the Mounds for your first time, make sure you are with someone who knows the area and that you TRUST.

x2. That place is murder on a vehicle.

Jarhead
June 2nd, 2010, 11:28 PM
Thanks everybody for the feedback.. I just signed up for Drummond Island. I am going to try it out at the Mounds on June 12th and see how the new jeep does. Look forward to meeting you guys on the trail...
The MUD HOLES can be DEEPER than they appear!

Greenway
June 3rd, 2010, 02:07 AM
For Drummond Island, It's best to relocate or skid your Evaporative Control Cannister. An Engine/Tranny skid will save damage to your oil pan from Drummond Rocks. Differential armor is useful here too.

For The Mounds, NEVER go through a mud hole unless you see someone else do it first. You WILL get stuck sometime during the day. You will probably get good at taking your radiator loose to wash the mud out.

For both places, you should consider extending your axle, transmission, and transfer case vents to keep water out of there.

That said, I have successfully taken my Jeep both places when it was stock. How do you think I developed the opinions above?

Stay away from Turtle Ridge until you get some armor.

todd20318
June 3rd, 2010, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the advice. I ordered my Cannister skid today and should have it soon. I appreciate all the advice and help :)

joe_jeep
June 3rd, 2010, 08:18 PM
go slow and steady on drummond you will be fine! its a blast! the doa is one of michigans best events!!

the mounds has was water holes that you would literally have to swim to shore!! i have seen many full size trucks on 44 inch tires burried to the windshield wipers. my jeep is on one tons and 42's and i wont go in most of those holes.

follow a close to stock rig around. let him find the deep ones.
then be polite and pull him out.

rtikql8
June 4th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the advice. I ordered my Cannister skid today and should have it soon. I appreciate all the advice and help :)

You will be OK in August with your vents, April is another story.

See you up there!

gokarn
June 4th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Make sure you get some skids.. I was banging away at them on the trails and turtle ridge. What Gary(Greenway) said is for the vents is needed. Try and beef up the transmission crossmember also. I found out that I have bent mine and am looking into replacing that.Other than that you'll do fine..

Jarhead
June 4th, 2010, 12:29 PM
The State Trails are fine...you will need additional armour to enjoy Turtle Ridge.

oz97tj
June 4th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Forget what everyone said. Just use lots of throttle! lol

I love my JK, but it needs skids underneath. Things are way more vulnerable than the TJ was.

gokarn
June 8th, 2010, 12:48 AM
Forget what everyone said. Just use lots of throttle! lol

I love my JK, but it needs skids underneath. Things are way more vulnerable than the TJ was.

Tell me about it.. Need a new transmission crossmember as mine is all bent and creating all sorts of problems..:banghead::banghead:

oz97tj
June 8th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Tell me about it.. Need a new transmission crossmember as mine is all bent and creating all sorts of problems..:banghead::banghead:

I have a Skid Row engine skid on mine and it's held up very well and somehow has managed to keep the crossmember straight. Mine is a 2 dr though.

Greenway has a 4 dr at stock height with the Skid Row on his and he's had good luck until he went to Turtle Ridge. Now, the crossmember has been clearanced. lol. However, he says it held up real well considering what he went through.

T-way
June 16th, 2010, 12:31 AM
You'll have a blast at DOA!!

Watch the MSG guys though....they're a little shifty!!!!

:poke:

Ahhhh.....I can't lie! They're all great guys and gals! I love 'em!!!

:ahhh:

Rattler
June 17th, 2010, 07:24 PM
For The Mounds, NEVER go through a mud hole unless you see someone else do it first. You WILL get stuck sometime during the day. You will probably get good at taking your radiator loose to wash the mud out.

I second that. I know someone that got a $$ cleaning bill on their DD by not following that little rule.

gokarn
June 18th, 2010, 12:35 AM
I have a Skid Row engine skid on mine and it's held up very well and somehow has managed to keep the crossmember straight. Mine is a 2 dr though.

Greenway has a 4 dr at stock height with the Skid Row on his and he's had good luck until he went to Turtle Ridge. Now, the crossmember has been clearanced. lol. However, he says it held up real well considering what he went through.

Mine was not so bent up after Turtle. But then went to Rocks and Valleys and that bent it completely. After that I've ended up with serious vibrations.. Planning on ordering the whole skidplate system from poly performance with tranmission crossmember replacement.:banghead::banghead:

todd20318
July 1st, 2010, 04:52 PM
Does anybody know if the Trailhead Campground on Drummond has shower facilities? What time does the DOA start on Friday? I need to decide to head up Thursday night or Friday morning???

phittie1100
July 1st, 2010, 05:18 PM
They were just finishing up the bath house when we were there on 6-11

Jarhead
July 2nd, 2010, 09:27 AM
Does anybody know if the Trailhead Campground on Drummond has shower facilities? What time does the DOA start on Friday? I need to decide to head up Thursday night or Friday morning???

Registration will take place around 7 or 8 with the intent to hit the trails by 9.

todd20318
July 2nd, 2010, 05:23 PM
Thanks Jarhead :) Looks like i will be heading up there Thursday night!!